New Thoughts on Gaming
Very interesting article about relevant content for students. I've never considered the educational implications of what is involved in interactive gaming, and with some explicit definition, I could see the value. When we have free time in the classroom and a kid gets online, there is a congregation of students to coach and offer suggestions based on experience. The higher order thinking skill is one I will need to process a bit more, but I can definitely see the problem solving skills. Now if I can only build on these skills in their personal life.
Simulations are something of value to each person, whether it is learning to drive or learning to man a spaceship. The guided facilitation is going to be my challenge as I design lessons toward this medium.
Social media needs to be practiced by kids and it was interesting to read about opportunities for even the youngest kids. I can see the value and will really need to process the pedagogical implications as I teach this.
Agreed. Social Media most definitely needs to be practiced--or coached.
ReplyDeleteI don't have a lot of experience with these particular games listed in the article--it's already a bit dated... oh technology--but maybe trying some of them out and taking that step back to see HOW you are thinking inside them would be beneficial to you. Then you'll be able to see if they would work for your 5th graders, even in a small sense.