Western State Colorado University Summer Teacher Institute 2015
Search This Blog
Saturday, June 20, 2015
Friday Reading
This article echoes most of what we have been discussing in class - balance. Technology in the classroom can be such a benefit, but as with most things in life, needs to balanced with the thousand other factors going on in your classroom that effect your day to day objectives. I'm not sure that I completely agree that technology always helps to keep students focused for longer periods of time - depends on what they are working on I guess. I have seen students just as deeply engaged and focused when building with the pattern blocks or constructing bridges from popsicle sticks to see how many books they can hold. The excitement to learn comes not only from the technology, but how as a teacher we present ideas, content and projects to student. Technology can enhance a students interest for sure, but the enthusiasm to learn also hinges on the community of learning you set in your classroom. I think it can also help teachers be more excited to learn as well - the chance to re-think a project and try something new is just as engaging for the teacher. I do love the independence that access to technology can promote in students - whether that is them researching questions they have on their own, clarifying a process or proposing a new take on how to present their learning. Considering how to best prepare students for the future is always daunting, so anyway to help facilitate that is welcomed! But I agree with Alex that we cannot just throw tech in a students hands and assume we are preparing them - students also need the skills to problem solve, collaborate, explain their thinking, communicate and lead in meaningful ways with or with out technology. Technology helps enhance these skills for sure, but it is not the only driving force.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment